8.10.2011

Becoming a Make Up Artist

Who would have thought I would love to learn about make up? I was not interested, not until I've thought about earning extra money when I migrate. I never thought I would enjoy applying make up on my face and on other people's face. I guess it is a work of art. I've enjyed the end result and seeing and the sparkle in a person's eye when they saw the finished look they have.

I thought make up artists are all the same as long as they are very good in applying make up they can do anything. Then I've learned from Lisa Eldridge, that there are types of it. Or should I say, different forte in terms of the techniques in applying make up.  It would be awesome for you to know and be exposed in all fields but like they always say " Jack of all trades, master of  none".

The Top 3 common ones I've seen from the web are: Theatrical, Fashion and Film,. Although Wiki does have added ones like Airbrush, Bridal and High Definition.

Theater Make Up Artist, as the name implies is for actors and actressess working on a stage play or any theatrical preformance. The theatre make up is dependent on the roles or characters the actors are playing. If they need to look old or young, if they portray like an animal or a witch then their make up should adapt to that role.

Fashion Make Up Artist. Being a fashion make up artist is love... for me. I wanted to be like one. I hope. Fashion industry is very large and caters from magazines, editorials, runway, commercials, events like photoshoots or any sort of advertisements. Whew.. this one is a handful of job if you are full time, you might be required to work 24/7 if need be.

Film Make Up artist. Yes, get a chance to made up one of your favorite celebrities be it in their movies, guestings, sitcoms or red carpet premiere, then you should go and be a Film make up artist. Also one of the fab career. You'd get a chance to rub elbows with the stars.

Some additional ones that is discussed in Wikipedia, Airbrush artist, wedding make up artist and special effects (FX) who uses prosthetics etc. Special Effects can also be in line with Films. If the shoot is for science fiction or anything that wold require much advance face transformation that is where you would need to do a prostethics type of make up application. Wedding Make Up can be a branch of  Fashion or photography type of make up and also uses Airbrush. Airbrush, is just another approach to make up application using a tool called "airbrush" some editorials and fashion shows uses air brush make up application.

Airbrush is applied via the airbrush tool that looks like a gun with air compressor. Compared to Traditional makeup it's finish is matte and thin layered. It's just like spraying foundation on your face with better coverage. instead of applying it via fingers, sponge or brush. The cons, it is expensive, and if it gets messed up like sweat or water, it leaves streaks and  the it will be a bit hard to retouch it.


I wanted to learn airbrush and dreamt of becoming a Fashion Make Up artist.. but it would mean long hours of work....




No comments:

Post a Comment